Did you know?
- The Oral Health Sciences Master's programme has evolved out of four dental differentiation programmes that have been offering (clinical) education at ACTA for many years.
- Four graduate profiles (Endodontology, Periodontology, Oral Implantology and Implant Prosthodontics, and Oral Kinesiology) are accredited as a MSc. The fifth graduation profile in Paediatric Dentistry was added a year after the start of the programme. Accreditation of this fifth graduation profile is pending the outcome of the programme's NVAO reaccreditation in 2018-2019.
- Oral Health Sciences is a joint degree programme of two universities: Vrije Universiteit and the University of Amsterdam.
- The programme is taught in English, because of its international character. 30‐50% of the students are from abroad. The language of patient communication with patients is usually Dutch. Students are therefore expected to have sufficient Dutch language skills to take patient’s basic medical history at the start of the programme.
- The programme is made up of four components: 1). generic courses (32 ECTS), 2). graduation profile-specific courses (30 ECTS), 3). the Research Track (28 ECTS) and the acquisition of more in‐depth clinical skills that form 50% of the total study time (30 ECTS per year, 90 ECTS in total). Download the Curriculum Overview.
- Per year only 1-4 students per graduation profile are selected for the postgraduate Master’s programme in Oral Health Sciences.
What our graduates say…
|“This programme is the right mix between clinical training and research. It gives you the possibility to look deeper into the most recent discoveries in the fields of Endodontology, Implant Dentistry, Periodontology, Oral Kinesiology and Paediatric Dentistry with regular interdisciplinary sessions. It also trains you to improve your presentation skills, which is nowadays so important in terms of communication. Besides, Amsterdam is beautiful, dynamic and constantly changing. And so international as well. That’s why I have decided to continue my career at ACTA with a PhD project, alongside my clinical work. After 3 years, I feel there’s still so much more to see and learn.”
Luciano Pitzurra, 29, Italy. Graduation profile Periodontology, August 2018
|"After graduating Dental School in my home country, my passion for Endodontology started to come into clear shape. Eager to improve my knowledge and skills, I started looking for postgraduate programmes that were providing the best clinical environment, but also rigorous training in theory and research. I can now say that ACTA's Oral Health Sciences programme exceeded these expectations. The structure of the Oral Health Sciences programme gave me a solid foundation in the field of Endodontology, but also allowed me to easily interact with specialists from other departments and deepen my understanding. The highlight of my time at ACTA was learning alongside inspiring classmates. Each member of our small, but selective group, brought insight from different corners of the world, and we learned so much from each other. I developed close friendships with my classmates and still managed to have a lot of fun in between times of intense work and stress. My time at ACTA was truly life-changing and I feel fortunate to have been part of such a renowned and rigorous master’s programme. I look forward to remaining an active and engaged member of the ACTA alumni network."
Petruta Căpută. Graduation profile Endodontology, August 2018